Thursday, May 3, 2007

Music of the Night

For every night of the week I'm online in the Dining Hall (seeing as to how it's the only place in StudVill with free Internet access), there's always a chance someone's going to play the old piano in the small alcove known as Don's Den. I'll post up a picture to show what it looks like later. But first things first.

Now, most of the time there's the usual guy, American, methinks. He usually comes in and plays what sounds to be his song (or a pianofied rendition of Stairway to Heaven), and launches into a hour-long repertoire. And he sings quite well when he plays, even if what he plays gets painfully repetitive at times. But heck, it's free entertainment on my lonely nights, so I won't complain.

A less-than-usual patron would be the East Asian guy. This guy plays mostly what I perceive to be his own stuff. And when he plays, he plays like mad. I mean, his head whips from side to side so often that self-induced whiplash doesn't sound implausible. He also sings...but not as well as the American guy. His is more like a nasally, high pitched voice. It's pretty damn hard to understand whether he's singing or just randomly spouting out words, but fun all the same.

The last guy I've heard so far is the guy I termed "Surfie". He's got the surfie do; long blonde hair, blond mo, red skin...that kind. And so far, his performances are rare but worth looking out for. He plays excellently. Almost country-like twang to his playing, but on the whole very enjoyable. His is relaxing. Kinda like being in a cafe or hotel lounge where you've got the guy playing slow but powerful. He also sings, and he's pretty darn good at it too. He's playing right now, actually. And I wish I had a cup of coffee here too.

Anyway, the best part of listening and/or watching them play is the fact that they're so engrossed when they're doing it. It makes me kinda jealous at times; once upon a time I took piano lessons but never got around to picking it up. There's something about someone playing the piano well that gives it class. The smooth tones, the sensation of strings being hit gracefully...yup. Even when you play it roughly (like Hiromi does...Hiromi...mmm...) it still has the voice to make it sound like an exotic accent instead of something completely different.

Yea. That's the nice part about being in StudVill. It has a place where people of different backgrounds can be in one place. One doesn't necessarily have to interact to enjoy company. After all, just the notion that there's someone else still typing away nearby in the darkness of midnight.

Whoa, Surfie dude is playing Your Song! Hahaha. Keren abis. I wish Apu were here to hear it. We'd probably sing along, like in the old days.

Sigh.

Oh, about the essay, I think I bombed it. But that's kinda good. I now remember the stress I forgot during all those days mooching at home. Yar. I have slipped, and seen myself sinking. The question now...will I be able to do all my other essays in time? *dramatic music*

Anyway, I can probably sleep around 12 tonight, so that ought to give me a proper amount of rest. I've got one Earth103 essay due Monday, and an essay for both Geog103 and ESLA101 the week after. It's not much time. And suddenly, the end of the semester is closer than I expected.

Whoa.

I mean, whoa.

That means the girls will be leaving in a month's time. And I'll have finished my first semester abroad. It's true...time waits for no-one.

Oh well.

Time to get started on my other...essay...must...stay...

[Transmission Cut]

No comments: